This is my favorite plant based recipe. Although I hate to admit that my favorite spaghetti as a child was the Kraft in the box kind. In the box was the pasta, the seasoning packet (loaded with sodium) and the parmesan cheese (grated powdery like). Then you added a small can of tomato paste. Because it was a simple dish to make and because I really liked it, my great grandmother would almost always prepare this for me as a lunch when I stayed at her house. Now as an adult, I still crave this comfort food, but now I make a much healthier version below.
Spaghetti with Lentils
- 14 oz Brown Rice Spaghetti
- 14.5 oz Lentils with no salt added, drain and rinse
- 14.5 oz Crushed Tomatoes with no salt added
- 1 tbsp vinegar of choice
- 1/2 tsp sweetener of choice
- 1 dash Mrs. Dash salt free
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cook spaghetti in 2 qt. boiling water for about 10-15 min. or until desired tenderness (brown rice pasta takes a little bit longer than regular pasta). Meanwhile mix canned crushed tomatoes and canned lentils in a 2 qt. saucepan and heat on medium heat. Stir in all remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then turn heat down to simmer while pasta finishes cooking. Drain pasta and mix into lentil sauce. Top with nutritional yeast and enjoy.